1. Coverage of the Inaugural Ceremonies for President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Harris begins at 10:30am and will be broadcast live on all major TV networks and platforms and streamed at BidenInaugural.org/watch. Biden will be sworn in by Chief Justice John Roberts and Harris by Justice Sonia Sotomayor (to become the FIRST WOMAN VICE PRESIDENT ❤️). Lady Gaga will sing the National Anthem, and Jennifer Lopez and Garth Brooks will also perform. See the full schedule and more details here.
The Presidential Inaugural Committee is also hosting the first-ever curated livestream for young Americans before and during the Inaugural Ceremonies. Hosted by Keke Palmer, it will feature a special message from Dr. Jill Biden; commentary from historians Doris Kearns Goodwin and Erica Armstrong Dunbar; a segment on presidential pets; trivia questions, including some asked by Doug Emhoff; and other special features. It starts at 10am and will be streamed here and on YouTube.
2. There’s a notice going around our neighborhood list servs encouraging people to celebrate the new administration by going outside after President Biden’s speech and making some noise. Why limit it to just our ‘hood? Wherever you are, get outside and for five minutes, ring bells, bang pots, clap hands, play an instrument, and join in some joyful noise making! And spread the word to your friends and neighbors!
3. Instead of the traditional inaugural balls, Tom Hanks will host “Celebrating America,” a primetime special that will air 8:30-10pm tonight on five TV networks — ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, and MSNBC — and streamed on Facebook, Twitter, and Amazon Prime Video. The lineup of performers includes Bruce Springsteen, Foo Fighters, Justin Timberlake, Demi Lovato, Lin Manuel Miranda, and Jon Bon Jovi.
4. In case you missed it last night, this was so beautiful — and a preview of the compassionate, dignified, presidential administration to come.
5. A mix of things to get you ready for the day:
* You’ll never hear the song from Rent the same again.
* One Day More (though now it should be No Days More)
* Hopes for a new administration.
* Celebrate, despite everything.
See you on the other side! 💙 🥂