1. A great place to get outside and get a glimpse of the past: Fort Washington Park in Fort Washington, MD. You can explore the historic remnants of the fortress dating back to 1824 — including bastions and barracks and cannons — within the grounds and enjoy beautiful views along the Potomac River. Hours are 9am – 4:30pm. Admission is $10/vehicle to the park, free to Fort Washington.
2. The National Gallery of Art has new Artful Conversations starting today. During these sessions of the free family program (recommended for kids ages 7–12), participants will explore Rozeal’s afro.died, T. (2011) and connect discoveries to music, all guided by DC-based DJ and multimedia artist Virtual Chicana. Register in advance — sessions take place today at 4pm, tomorrow at 4pm, and on Sunday, January 31, at 10am & 1pm.
3. Did you know REI offers all kinds of classes outdoor recreation classes and events? See what’s coming up locally, including How to Ride a Bike for Kids on several dates in March.
4. A really interesting NYT piece on financial aid, excerpted from the book, The Price You Pay for College.
5. A simple and important message from the (new) White House.