Join the Torpedo Factory Art Center this Saturday, October 22 from 12-4pm, for the 27th Annual Art Safari! An Alexandria tradition for more than a quarter-century, Art Safari returns for a day of hands-on activities for kids and families, as dozens of resident artists lead budding art enthusiasts through exciting and creative projects on all three floors of the Art Center.
Guests can look forward to all of these art adventures:
* Learn about printmaking with Printmakers Inc. by creating Linoleum printing of animals with artist Claire Meyer and watercolor monotypes with artist Avis Flemming.
* Discover the Potter’s Wheel with a demonstration by Scope Gallery.
* Become a work-of-art by having your face painted or getting a special temporary tattoo by Post Grad Resident artist Kiel Posner. Great for kids of all ages.
* Collaborate with artists Tara Barr and Rosemary Feit Covey on coloring pages specially designed by the artists.
* Paint like a real artist, at an easel with brushes, with artist Judy Heiser.
* Create dynamic collages using bits of fabric and fiber with Potomac Fiber Arts Gallery artists.
* Play and experiment with a piece of wet clay to mold and shape into any form you can imagine led by artist Tracie Griffith Tso.
* Take part in a gallery scavenger hunt led by The Art League Gallery exploring their current exhibition. Each completed scavenger hunt can be shown at the Gallery desk to receive a special prize.
* Learn about Alexandria’s historical waterfront with the Alexandria Archaeology Museum.
* Contribute to a large canvas cloth collage project with artist Mina Oka Hanig.
* Enjoy additional STEAM-focused adventures with our partners at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science and the College of William & Mary.
Art Safari is perfect for kids ages 5+. Younger children may need some extra help, but will still have a lot of fun. Dress for mess — kids can get messy creating with artists at the Torpedo Factory!
Free and open to the public, the event is a fun and creative day for kids to dive into art!
Where: Torpedo Factory Art Center | Alexandria, VA
When: Saturday, October 22, 12-4pm
Admission: FREE! (Register here)
This post is sponsored by Torpedo Factory Art Center, however, I only promote events, programs, and places that I genuinely believe in and think will appeal to KFDC readers.