1. The Smithsonian Institution Building (aka Smithsonian Castle) will close starting next Wednesday, February 1, to undergo a five-year renovation. So, if you haven’t yet been or want to see it again before it’s inaccessible, you only have a week. What’s in the Castle? It’s home to the Smithsonian Visitor Center, a small cafe, and a sampling of some of the collections you can find in the many museums.
2. Spring Break is just a couple of months away for some local students, and closer to three months for most DC kids. Either way, if you’re still making plans and thinking about taking a trip, you might find some inspiration from these family getaway ideas.
3. Have you checked out Groupon lately? There currently are some great offers on fun things to do around the area, including a two-hour session at the St. James Super, Awesome, and Amazing activity center; this weekend’s Jurassic Quest dinosaur show; the Washington Auto Show; local sports tickets; classes for kids; and much more!
4. Two movies I recently watched and recommend: To Leslie (Andrea Riseborough so deserves her Oscar nomination) and Armaggedon Time (Anne Hathaway should have gotten one, too). [Note: These films are rated R, and suggested for adults (or teens and older).]
5. A great listen with a legend.