[Note: This is a guest post contributed by Canden Arciniega from DC by Foot.]
Every year, Georgetown takes on a new GLOW with temporary light installations designed by visual artists from all over the world. DC by Foot offers a walking tour that explores both the Georgetown Glow art and permanent street art and murals in the neighborhood.
* Runs Wednesday – Sunday through January 22, 2023, including on Christmas and New Year’s Day.
* Select dates are pay-what-you-want while others are ticketed. Tickets are $35/adult, $20/youth (4-16), and kids under 4 are FREE. Ticketed groups are smaller and come with your own glow sticks!
* Starts outside Four Season’s Hotel and ends at Potomac & M Streets NW.
Four reasons why the Georgetown Glow Tour is great for kids:
1. It’s interactive! DC by Foot’s guides don’t lecture memorized facts, so the tours are engaging and fun, even for the youngest visitors. And with small groups on the tour, you’ll have time to interact with the different light installations. For 2022, the tour ends at the Cloud Swing, a set of actual swings that light up clouds above when you swing high enough! You’ll also see Picto Sender Machine, a low-resolution screen where you can record a video message.
2. It’s only 1.5 hours and 1 mile. As much fun as the tour is, kids’ attention spans are only so long. The tour is a highlight 1.5 hours with only one mile of walking. [NOTE: It is NOT stroller friendly due to stairs and Georgetown sidewalks.]
3. It starts at 5:30pm. There isn’t a lot to enjoy about early sunsets (except maybe sneaking bedtime a bit earlier than usual). But with early nightfall, DC by Foot starts the tour at 5:30pm, making it a great family activity that won’t keep everyone out too late!
4. It ends outside the best macron shop in Georgetown. We’re all okay with bribes, right? Stop at Olivia Macaron shop for a tasty (but small and non-messy) colorful treat after the tour.