1. The weather lately has been incredible, especially considering the DC area is usually at peak heat and humidity this time of year. It’s a perfect time to get out for a hike, so here’s a suggestion for one of our go-to spots: Turkey Run Park. We just went this past weekend, and had a great time. It’s never crowded, and the Potomac Heritage Trail that stretches along the river makes for a fun and scenic nature walk. It’s rooty with some rock scrambles, which adds some extra activity. For little hikers who need easier terrain, the park also has plenty of flat, wide trails and open grassy areas — just stay up high, not near the river. Read more about our very first time there and see a few pics from our most recent visit. And for more suggestions on places to hike with kids, see the round-up of Walks in the Woods.
2. Today from 2-5pm: National Landing’s summer fun series, The NaLa Beach Club, is shell-abrating the season with special activities for children and families. Enjoy crafts like seashell painting and coloring, plus mermaid photo ops. They’ll also have music, giveaways and FREE shaved ice for kids (while supplies last). This all takes places at Gateway Green (101 12th Street S Arlington, VA 22202) in the area formerly known as Crystal City, VA. Admission is free.
3. County fairs have started up around the area, and they aren’t just weekend events. Weekdays are actually a great time to go when the crowds are smaller, plus there may be special events and entertainment to enjoy. This KFDC round-up has details on all the local fair fun.
4. Hanna Andersson has a great sale going on right now — 30% off everything sitewide!
5. Rewatch Rec: Ted Lasso! I think it may be even better the second time.
Note: This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click on one and make a purchase, I may get a small commission. This helps me continue to bring you KFDC. Thanks so much for the support!