1. How about a movie in the cemetery? Tomorrow evening, August 12, catch a showing of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy at Congressional Cemetery as part of their summer Cinematery series. Gates open at 7pm, and the film begins at sunset. Admission is $10/adult, $5/child. See what Common Sense Media says about the film here. And PS: Congressional Cemetery is a cool place to visit anytime with gravesites of notable people, lovely peaceful paths to stroll, geocaching opportunities, and a chance to let doggies have a blast running around off leash. Read more about it here.
2. Did you know the Skating Pavilion at Anacostia Park in Southeast DC offers free skate rentals? They are available Thursday – Sunday, 10am – 5pm through Labor Day. At other times, you can BYO skates to roll around the rink. And there’s even more recreation to enjoy at the park — a biking/running/skating trail, three playgrounds, tennis and basketball courts, large fields for playing and picnicking, and all of it with scenic views of the Anacostia River. Read more about Anacostia Park in this KFDC post.
3. DC Restaurant Week, when you can get a great deal on meals at hundreds of DC area restaurants, is August 15-22. See which places are participating, get a look at the menus, and make reservations — they tend to book up fast!
4. We just returned from our trip to Greece, and I wanted to share three items that I used everyday and am so happy I had with me: A belt bag… mine is very similar to this one; a light, airy white blouse like this that can be worn as a beach cover up, open or knotted over an outfit, or just as a blouse with pants or shorts; and my new favorite sunscreen from Trader Joe’s (it’s not on the website, but still in the stores… I just stocked up in case they take it off shelves after this summer).
5. All of the Smartless episodes are awesome, but this one is a particularly fun listen, because the actor/musician truly rocks.