1. Take a tour of the Scranton branch of Dunder Mifflin…a re-created version of it, anyway! The just opened The Office Experience immerses you in the world of Michael Scott, Jim & Pam, Dwight, Angela, Andy, and the rest of their colleagues and friends. You can explore re-created sets loaded with authentic details and fun surprises, recall so many funny moments from the show, play actual games from the series, put yourself into iconic scenes for both awesome photo ops and great laughs, and much, much more. The kids and I just got a preview of it, and we all thought it was a hoot and so well done (we’re all huge fans of the series). If your crew are also into The Office, they’ll definitely dig it, too. It opens today and will run through January 16, 2023. Admission starts at $39.75/adult, $30.50/child, $35.75/senior & military. See the website for hours, as they vary by day.
2. Tonight you can catch a free screening of Scooby Doo and maybe even a free scoop at The Yards’ Ice Cream Movie Series. BYO blankets and chairs and head to The Sundeck, the area next to Ice Cream Jubilee, to view the movie for free. The first 30 guests will get a free scoop and choice of viewing location. The movie will begin at dusk around 8:30pm.
3. Also tonight: Home Runs for Horton’s Kids is a fundraiser and family-friendly night of batting practice, pitching competitions, grab-and-go stadium fare snacks and drinks, and more at Nationals Park. Proceeds from the event support and celebrate the impact of Horton’s Kids’ programs in two of DC’s most under-resourced communities. The organization provides a holistic, research-based continuum of academic, youth development, and basic needs supports designed to empower children to succeed. The event is from 6-9pm, and tickets start at $150.
4. A great round-up of indie bookstores in the DC area from Washingtonian.
5. And some excellent book recommendations from an always reliable source.