1. If you’ve been reading KFDC for awhile, then you probably know Watkins Regional Park was one of our very early discoveries for outings with little ones. (Actually, we started bringing Owen there before the blog even existed.) I haven’t recommended it in a long time, because some of its major, awesome features — Old Maryland Farm, the antique carousel and miniature train, and the Nature Center — have been closed due to covid. The cute Wizard of Oz-themed playground has been open and accessible, but since it’s a bit of a drive to Upper Marlboro, MD, where Watkins is located, it seemed better to save the trip for when the public could access and enjoy more of what makes the park special. Well, that time has come! While you still can’t visit it all, Old Maryland Farm, where you can see farm animals and other agricultural exhibits, has reopened. Hours are Tuesday – Sunday 11am – 4pm, and admission is free. Read more about it and all that Watkins offers — and bookmark the post because even more will be available again (hopefully) soon!
2. While the historic Noyes Library for Young Children in Kensington, MD, remains closed due to the pandemic, families can catch live Weekly Virtual Storytimes with DC stage actor and Kensington mom Karen Vincent. With a different theme each week, Vincent connects with children with an engaging reading and enthusiastic comments. The books selected appeal to kids of all ages, and have included Frog and Toad All Year by Arnold Lobel, The Magic Hat by Tricia Tusa, and How Rocket Learned to Read by Tad Hills. Join the free virtual sessions on Facebook Live every Tuesday at 11am. They last around 30 minutes, and videos of them are posted after the event.
3. There’s another MAGA protest of election results taking place tomorrow, January 6, so Mayor Bowser is warning DC residents to stay away from the downtown area. Washingtonian also has five good reasons to avoid it.
4. How to build a better (virtual) school year in 2021.
5. Darcy’s first list of 2021, 10 Happy Things for January, is SO good!