1. Two local #BLM events today:
* All Mamas — Black Mamas, White Mamas, and everyone in between — and their families are invited to join the Black Mamas March. The event begins at 11am at Navy Memorial Plaza (btwn 7th & 9th on Pennsylvania Ave NW) for a short program of music, education, and a babies’ march. Then the march will proceed to Madison Drive & 14th Street NW near the National Museum of African American History and Culture. Find more information here.
* All ages are welcome to join the Chocolate City Experience at the #BlackLivesMatter Plaza. The old school block party will include resources for the black community, a farmers market, chess, yoga, double dutch, hopscotch music, and more.
2. Quick links for weekend activities:
* Local Hikes
* DC playgrounds
* Fairfax Parks, NoVa Parks, MoCo Parks.
* Pick Your Own places
* Paddling opportunities
* The Adventure Park at Sandy Spring
* The virtual Smithsonian Folklife Festival
3. Two virtual musical events tonight:
* Tonight at 8pm, tune in to NBC for Global Goal: Unite for Our Future, a historic, global event unite the world and make COVID-19 testing, treatments, and vaccines available to everyone, everywhere. Performers and appearances include Shakira, Coldplay, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Original Broadway Cast of HAMILTON with Jimmy Fallon & The Roots, Chris Rock, Hugh Jackman, Justin Beiber, The Los Angeles Philharmonic and YOLA (Youth Orchestra Los Angeles), and many more exciting entertainers
* The Roots Picnic, the annual music festival create by The Roots, is going online this year. Hosted by Michelle Obama, it will feature performances by Lil baby, H.E.R., Roddy Rich, and several more artists and groups, including The Roots, of course. It also starts at 8pm and will stream on YouTube.
4. Who else learned what a “stan” was in the last week? (I first heard of it here.)
5. Guaranteed to get you dancing: Spotify’s Pride Party 2020 playlist.
If you liked this post — found it informative, inspiring, it made you smile, or it made you think — please share!