1. Quick links for weekend activities:
* Local Hikes
* Pick Your Own places
* Paddling opportunities
* Fairfax Parks and NoVa Parks (more open with Phase 2)
* Protests around the DMV
2. Friends of Peirce Mill invite you to Create by the Creek: A Socially-Distant Celebration of Art and Community in Rock Creek Park. Any time between today June 21, find a safe spot in Rock Creek Park and let your creative juices flow. Draw or paint a landscape or a single flower, write a rap or a poem, take a photograph, record a TikTok, make a collage. Then share your artwork using the hashtags #createbythecreek, #rockcreekpark, #loverockcreek, or #summerintheparks. See what other people have been making on Instagram and Facebook. All ages and artistic experience are encouraged to participate!
3. Oprah Magazine recommends 43 books by black authors to read in 2020.
4. Where to donate effectively right now.
5. Dave Chapelle’s brand new special, 8:46, is not funny. And it’s not supposed to be. (Update: This is NOT for kids — apologies for any confusion! I assume parents see “Dave Chapelle” and know that. Just like Oprah’s book recs, some of the “Five Things” are specifically for adults, since they are the ones actually reading KFDC.)
If you liked this post — found it informative, inspiring, it made you smile, or it made you think — please share!