Back when I was in middle school (like when dinosaurs roamed the earth, according to my kids), Home Ec was among the electives we could take in school, and I chose it as one of mine. In these modern days of STEAM, it seems kind of old-fashioned, but I actually really enjoyed the hands-on lessons of the class, especially a sewing project where I made my own pair of shorts. It was quite satisfying to make something myself that was useful — and, of course, cute to wear!
Kids may not have the same opportunities to learn sewing in school anymore, but they can develop their stitching skills with shops like Three Little Birds Sewing Co. Located in the Arts District of Hyattsville, MD, the sewing studio and fabric store offers a variety of classes and workshops for all ages along with a great selection of textiles for sale.
Several class options (and more) are available:
* Introductory to Sewing for ages 7 is a 1.5-hour class that lets them get hands on experience with the basics of machine sewing. They learn everything from how to turn on the machine to finishing a simple project.
* Mommy & Me Sewing Class is a 1.5-hour session for ages 5-12 and an adult. Together you’ll learn how to operate a sewing machine and make a standard pillowcase. If time allows, you can make a second matching one!
* Kids Sewing Series for ages 8-14 takes place over four 1.5-hour sessions and gives students the confidence and skills to learn to sew on their own. All skill levels are welcome — the three class projects are adjusted to each student.
* Adult classes teach everything from the basics of sewing and quilting to more specialized work like zippers and fancier totes and Christmas ornaments.
* Other offerings include studio time, birthday parties, and baby showers!
Want to learn more about Three Little Birds Sewing Co.? Visit the website or stop by the store — they’re located at 5132 Baltimore Ave, Studio B in Hyattsville, MD. But, first, enter the giveaway below for a chance to win a class!
Giveaway: For a chance to win a sewing class with Three Little Birds Sewing Co., simply leave a comment below telling me what item you or your child would love to learn how to sew. The winner will have the choice of one kids class for ages 8-13 or a Mommy & Me Class for ages 5-12. The prize must be redeemed within six months of the end date of this giveaway. Get an extra chance to win by entering on the KidFriendly DC Facebook Page, too! This giveaway will run through December, 17, 2017, and the winner will be picked at random and notified shortly thereafter. Good luck!