1. Quick links for weekend activities:
* Local Hikes
* Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens in bloom (more about it here)
* Shark tooth hunting (be sure to note restrictions)
* DC playgrounds
* Fairfax Parks, NoVa Parks, MoCo Parks.
* Pick Your Own places
* Paddling opportunities
* The virtual Smithsonian Folklife Festival
* July 4th protests and marches
2. Today, bring the kiddos to The Lane Social Club from 3-7pm for story time and afternoon of kid’s activism on their outdoor roof terrace. Cyana Riley, author of “Not So Different” will be there to read her book, and each child who attends will be able to decorate an activist T-Shirt that they can proudly wear all summer long. The T-shirt is black and white and says: “Science is Real, Black Lives Matter, Love is Love, No Human is Illegal, Kindness is Everything”. The Lane will supply fabric pens available for everyone to make the design their own. Reservations are required, as are masks (until seated at the table). Tickets are required and available here.
3. And speaking of activism, there’s going to be both a protest of and a conversation about the history of the controversial Emancipation Statue in Lincoln Park on Capitol Hill — the protest is 5-9pm, and the conversation 6:30-8pm.
4. Lots of July 4th recipes and menu ideas.
If you liked this post — found it informative, inspiring, or it just made you smile — please share!