1. KidFriendly DC is 11 today! Thus, I’m highlighting one of my very favorite adventures around the area, not to mention it’s a great day for fossil hunting. The linked round-up has details on several great places to search for shark teeth and other millions-of-years-old remains of marine creatures within an hour or so drive from DC. Just note that at least one, Flag Ponds, is not open mid-week.
2. I’ve been seeing ads for Masterclass for awhile, but didn’t know much about it. A friend just signed up for it, and said it’s fantastic. You have access to all kinds of online classes taught by, well, masters — Middle Eastern Cooking with Ottolenghi, Scientific Thinking with Neil deGrasse Tyson, Songwriting with Alicia Keys, Ukele with Jake Shimabukuro, Writing with David Sedaris are a few examples. My friend’s kids loved a magic class and one about how to become an astronaut, and her husband took one on the art of negotiation. It’s $3.45/week ($180/year) for unlimited access, which sounds like a good deal. Does anyone else subscribe and have more insight?
3. The Daily did a really good episode on Children and Covid last week that discusses when kids will get the vaccine.
4. A heartwarming story out of Texas.
5. A beautiful essay on befriending former selves.