1. Quick links for weekend activities:
* Local Hikes
* Pick Your Own places
* Paddling opportunities
* Fairfax Parks, NoVa Parks, MoCo Parks
* Patapsco State Park, where we hiked and swam last weekend
2. The National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden reopens today! Hours are 11am – 4pm, and visitor capacity is limited, with entrance on a first come-first serve basis. Face coverings are required. The Pavilion Cafe will also be open accepting credit cards only.
3. A fun and tasty idea for Father’s Day weekend: Pick up some crabs and have a backyard feast! This links to Captain White’s at The Wharf Fish Market. We got crabs there last weekend, and they were great. Warning: The line to get in the Fish Market stretches down Maine Ave. to help with social distancing inside, but it moves fairly quickly. This WaPo article lists more places to get crabs to take home.
4. Brightest Young Things has a good round-up of Black art and history museums to explore from home.
5. It’s the summer solstice, and you can watch it at Stonehenge! Thousands of people usually gather at the the Neolithic monument to celebrate, so English Heritage, which manages the site, is livestreaming the event to encourage social distancing. The June 20 sunset there is at 9:26pm (4:26pm EST), and sunrise at 4:52am (11:52pm EST). View it on their Facebook page here.
If you liked this post — found it informative, inspiring, it made you smile, or it made you think — please share!