1. PG County Parks & Rec usually celebrates Juneteenth with a big event at Watkins Regional Park, but this year it’s been moved from Upper Marlboro to online. All day today, there will be all kinds of live streamed events on their Facebook page, including hand dancing, storytime, cooking demos, a drumming workshop, and much more starting at 9am.
2. Yesterday’s 1A show included a segment on how to talk to kids about race. (I’ve shared some resources for this before, but more are helpful keep the conversations going.)
3. This evening at 8pm, join the Step Afrika! Juneteenth Celebration. Filmed entirely in DC and directed by Step Afrika!’s artists, performances have been staged at landmarks across the city, including the Black Lives Matter Plaza, the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial, and the National Sylvan Theater on the grounds of the Washington Monument. It will be streamed on Facebook and YouTube.
4. Momentum is a brand new blog dedicated to the fight against anti-Black racism.
5. Need some ideas for Father’s Day? Plan ahead for these activities: Watson Adventures is hosting a special Father’s Day Trivia Slam, Family Edition. The Lane is doing a Dad’s Day Game Day. The March of Dads, a peaceful demonstration for solidarity against social injustice, will take place at the National Museum of African American History & Culture.
If you liked this post — found it informative, inspiring, it made you smile, or it made you think — please share!